The old saying, “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.” This saying comes from an old English adage, “To eat an apple before going to bed, will make the doctor beg his bread.”
Cool facts & Stats:
- Two pounds of apples make one 9-inch pie.
- 2,500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States
- The pilgrims planted the first United States apple trees in the Massachusetts Bay Colony
- Archeologists have found evidence that humans have been enjoying apples since at least 6500 B.C
- Don't peel your apple. Two-thirds of the fiber and lots of antioxidants are found in the peel. Antioxidants help to reduce damage to cells, which can trigger some diseases.
On August 21, 2007 the GoldRush apple was designated as the official Illinois’state fruit. GoldRush is a sweet-tart yellow apple with a long shelf life. The apple is also the state fruit of Minnesota, New York, Vermont, Washington and West Virginia
___________________________________________________Source:"Apples and More." [Online] <http://urbanext.illinois.edu/apples/facts.cfm>.