Drugs were developed to cure diseases, relief from discomfort, and so many other reasons. However, people abuse it anyway. Drug overdoses becoming very fatal in the United States as well as all around the world. In U.S., the death rates from Drug overdoses is more than heroine and cocaine deaths combine. Here are some facts on Drug overdoes, which might surprised you.
- 100 people die from drug overdoses each day here in the United Sates!
- In 2008, more than 36,000 people died from drug overdoses, and most of these deaths were caused by prescription drugs*
- In 2010, of the 38,329 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,134**
Among these drug users, women are victim of drug overdoses.
- Nearly 48,000 women died of prescription painkiller overdoses between 1999 and 2010^
- Deaths from prescription painkiller overdoses among women have increased more than 400% since 1999, compared to 265% among men^
*CDC. Vital Signs: Overdoses of Prescription Opioid Pain Relievers—United States, 1999-2008. MMWR 2011; 60: 1-6
**Jones CM, Mack KA, Paulozzi LJ. Pharmaceutical overdose deaths, United States, 2010. JAMA 2013;309:657-659
^ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 03 July 2013. Web. 28 Sept. 2013. <http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/PrescriptionPainkillerOverdoses/index.html>