Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Sunday, September 9, 2018
Friday, April 25, 2014
Is bottle water safer than tap water?
I was always wondering if tap water is safer than bottled water. Obviously, when you buy a bottle of water you probably expect it be better than the tap water. After researching this topic I found out that bottled water isn't any safer than tap water.
Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) conducted a four-year review of the bottled water industry and the safety standards that govern it, including a comparison of national bottled water rules with national tap water rules, and independent testing of over 1,000 bottles of water.*
They include the fact that there is no assurance that just because water comes out of a bottle it is any cleaner or safer than water from the tap. And in fact, an estimated 25 percent or more of bottled water is really just tap water in a bottle -- sometimes further treated, sometimes not.*
So, is good tap water is same as bottle water?
- Many experts say yes! And many studies and researches have the same answer.
Why do people buy bottled water?
- In many cities in developing countries where there is not a safe source of tap water, and bottled water becomes a trusted option
How much bottled water are being used by Americans?
- Americans used about 50 billion plastic water bottles last year. However, the U.S.’s recycling rate for plastic is only 23 percent, which means 38 billion water bottles – more than $1 billion worth of plastic – are wasted each year**
how much plastic bottle water cots us?
- The recommended eight glasses of water a day, at U.S. tap rates equals about $.49 per year; that same amount of bottled water is about $1,400.
- The energy we waste using bottled water would be enough to power 190,000 homes**
Is bottled water industry successful?
- Yes. The bottled-water industry is so successful, it has outpaced milk, coffee, and juice in number of gallons of drinks sold—putting it behind only beer and soda++
Where in U.S and other countries selling bottled water is being banned?
- San Francisco has initiated new step toward greening the city, authority soon ban the sale of plastic water bottles on city-owned property. +
- In September 2009, the Australian city of Bundanoon became the first city in the world to completely ban bottled water from its stores' shelves, installing water fountains around the city instead.++
* Source: "Bottled Water." NRDC:. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2014. <http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/qbw.asp>.
**Fishman, Charles. “Message in a Bottle.” Fast Company Magazine July 2007: 110
**“Not Disposable Anymore.” P.O.V.’s Borders. 2004. PBS
+Timm, Jane C. "San Francisco Bans Sale of Plastic Water Bottles on City Property." Msnbc.com. NBC News Digital, 13 Mar. 2014. Web. 25 Apr. 2014. <http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/san-francisco-bans-sale-plastic-water-bottles-climate-change>.
++Karlstrom, Solviem, and Christine Dell'Amore. "Why Tap Water Is Better Than Bottled Water." National Geography Daily News. N.p., 10 Mar. 2010. Web. 26 Apr. 2014. <http%3A%2F%2Fnews.nationalgeographic.com%2Fnews%2F2010%2F03%2F100310%2Fwhy-tap-water-is-better%2F>.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
How Many Chemicals are available in a cup of Coffee?
- A cup of Coffee has 1000 types of chemical, including antioxidant. Just to mention those chemicals are labeled as "Aroma Chemical Compound", which is capable of stimulating your sense of smell.
- Now, you probably know when you go to a fragrance store their Sales Associates ask you to smell coffee beans before smelling fragrance or cologne samples.
Sunday, July 21, 2013
Who Invented Coca-Cola!?
Who Invented Coca-Cola!?
- In 1886, Dr. John Stith Pemberton, invented Coca-Cola, by the way he was a pharmacist!
- Coca-Cola was first served at a Pharmacy called " Jacob's Pharmacy" for only 5 CENTS!
- Mr. Earl Dean Came up with the Coca-Cola bottle design. Designer Dean was offered $500 as a reward or life time job at Root Glass company (Illinois).
- Only two people know the secret of Coca-Cola formula!
Noel , Botham. The Book of Useless Information. New York, NY, USA: Penguin, 2006. 89. Print.
Friday, March 8, 2013
- Did you know there's an interesting fact about 7UP soda, which is a favorite drink to many of us. 7-UP created in 1929. The number 7 was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. And, the word "UP" represents the direction of the bubbles.
Botham, Noel. The book of Useless Information. New York, NY: Penguin, 2006. Print.
Friday, March 1, 2013
World's Most Expensive Coffee
Any guess? Well, when I was curious finding out about it, initially, I thought probably some coffee that are picked from the best of the best beans. However, my jaw dropped when I found out that world's most priciest coffee come from a mammal called Civet!
Kopi Luwak: world's most expensive coffee!!!
- Yes!! Kopi Luwak is the world's most expensive coffee! Believe it or not it comes from Civet Poop! Civet is cat sized mammal. When they eat coffee beans, they don't get digested, which makes farmers collecting and processing easily. This expensive coffee selling from $120 to $600 per pound and is sold in the United States and Japan.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)
This Gorilla was taught sign language and 1000 words!!
In the 1970s, a group of scientists taught sign language to a gorilla named Koko. In addition to learning sign language, Koko also showed ...
Right before reading this fact, I actually tried it by myself since I am a bilingual but I had a hard time writing couple letters from bo...
Unfortunately, there's no exact count of the number of words in the English language because languages are flexible and expanding.
Underground is only word that begins and ends with " und "